Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A Week in Sturgis (not the Rally!)

When most people think of Sturgis, they think of motorcycles. 

Not me.  I'm spending the week at the elementary school in Sturgis as an artist-in-residence.  Today was an especially good day. 

The kindergartners and first-graders are using the pattern in If I Had a Snowplow to write their own poems. ("If I had a dump truck, you know what I'd do? I'd deliver beef Chinese noodles, just for you!")

The second- and third-graders are looking at my rough drafts of The Girl Who Struck Out Babe Ruth and beginning to learn how to revise using the technique of substitution.

The fourth- and fifth-graders are getting a sneak peak at my newest book (Four Famous Faces), due to be released in May 2014.  I'm giving them the opportunity to write some of the animal poems.  Be on the lookout for the bat rap from the fifth-graders!

And then...

At the end of the day, a teacher brought me a note addressed to "Jan or something."  Inside, this is what it said:

"Dear Jan or something, I Do not know your name but you are the Best elastrater ever You are Awesome.  Love, ---   To Jan or Something have a happy time and keep Righting OK your Books are great Keep Righting."

I think I may enlarge this to poster size (even though I'm not Jan or an elastrater!)

No comments:

Post a Comment