Monday, October 31, 2016

Mount Rushmore's final day

While the rest of the country is trick-or-treating, my thoughts go to Mount Rushmore. It was on this date in 1941 that the final dynamite blasts were heard on Mount Rushmore.

Who knows what Lincoln Borglum thought about on that day? My guess is that he was thinking about his dad, Gutzon Borglum, who had died on March 6, 1941 -- unexpectedly after minor surgery.

I can only imagine the memories Lincoln would have had. 


When I was researching information for Face to Face with Mount Rushmore, I had the opportunity to read transcripts of interviews that had been done with Lincoln. One of the things Lincoln talked about was the amount of time his dad spent with him, even before Mount Rushmore was part of their lives.

I don't really know how to end this post, but I'm left thinking about the concept of time. It's slippery. I can't hold on to it. On the other hand, the time that we give to someone can last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment